Considering this baby will be here (if all goes to plan) in exactly one week, it's probably a good idea to finally get the nursery reveal up on the blog!
Everyone has their own timelines/priorities when it comes to preparing for baby. Obviously, I love decorating and making my house a home, so the nursery is by far my favorite part of 'nesting'. As soon as we found out she was a girl, however, I struggled HARD with the design of this room and actually did a 180 degree shift from what I originally planned.
Let's start from the beginning. Here is what the room looked when we bought the house.
When we purchased the house, we laid brand new hardwood flooring throughout the entire house, removed all of the wallpaper, and painted the walls a creamy white. We utilized this room as an office for a while before our attic was completed, so it sat in this state until now.
Our home has 3 bedrooms on our second floor, so we only have one room left to make the nursery. I struggled to figure out how to make this room feel 'feminine' with so much dark wood. My original plan was to paint the bookcases, however, time (and budget) got away from me and I decided that I would do my best to make the room feel feminine by adding feminine decor to the bookcases along with additional touches of pink elsewhere.
The other struggle with this room was the dysfunctional closet. Our home was built in 1926 so we have a lot of quirkiness that affects the functionality of things. The existing closet spanned the entire length of the room, but only two feet of it was accessible. It was a waste of space, and with the nursery being a small footprint as it was, we felt that adding the square footage to the room versus making a larger closet would suit our needs better.
We hired a contractor to take down the wall, add a header (due to the shiplap ceiling change), re-frame out a 'nook' for the changing table (and eventually a desk, or built in wardrobe in the future), add a recessed light, and patch the floors. It was definitely an undertaking for such a small gain in square footage, however, it makes the room feel bigger and we now have a much more functional space. It was a hard pill to swallow to have to hire out work, however, we were saving a lot of money in this design by re-using the crib, rocker, and other decor.
I kept going back and forth between this floral wallpaper or the woodland one we chose. They both were much more than I wanted to spend on wallpaper, but of course, I couldn't find anything that I loved equally at a lower price point. My husband was already planning on doing board & batten in Jude's room, so he came up with the idea of adding matching board & batten in the baby's room which would significantly cut down on the cost of wallpaper as we were now only covering half the wall. Score!
I absolutely love how it turned out in the end. We had a couple hiccups (like when I drove all the way to IKEA to buy an entire Ikea PAX wardrobe system for the closet to find out my husband had a mid life crisis trying to get it to fit, and then we had to return it), and I'm still giving him the side-eye for hanging the curtain rods too high so now the curtains don't touch the floor.